Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Review: The Value of Time by Abd Al-Fattah Abu Ghuddah

The Value of Time by Shaykh `Abd al-Fattah Abu Ghuddah.Translated by Yusra Al-Ghannouchi. 86 pages. First published April 2004/Safar 1425. ISBN 0 9537582 0 6.

It is fitting that this book be the first one the Muslim Media Review presents. I have had the idea for a media review web site, and I've gotten excellent feedback from people on what to do, but I've been lacking in the determination to start. This book provided me with the motivation to get started, and that in itself is a ringing endorsement to the book.

The book is divided into three parts. The first discusses the value of time in the Qur'an and the hadith reports. The second, which is the longest, is collections of excerpts from the biographies of scholars who valued their time, and who, by doing so, achieved much in their lives. The third part is a call to the reader to aim higher and begin working, i.e. to begin to value time more seriously.

The translation is smooth for the most part. The editing is excellent, so that one does not find incorrect spellings or misnumbered pages.

The publisher is Awakening Publications.

It is available on a wide variety of web sites. I purchased my copy from Astrolabe.

One thing that was odd was that the original Arabic book title was not mentioned. I believe the Arabic title is
قيمة الزمن عند العلماء

I purchased it from http://www.furat.com/book_details.cgi?bookid=9346 today. When it arrives, in sha Allah I'll post a notice about the shopping experience.

Last updated April 20, 2006.

No comments: